NEED AN ACCESS SITE TO COMPLETE YOUR VOTER REGISTRATION ONLINE? NEED ASSISTANCE OR HAVE QUESTIONS?
IF YOU DO NOT NEED COMPUTER ACCESS OR SUPPORT:
You can apply to register to vote right now by filling in the online application. The application is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Khmer, Korean, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese. If you have any questions, visit Frequently Asked Questions or contact the Secretary of State’s Elections Division at (800) 345-VOTE (8683) or by email.
If you are enrolled in California’s confidential address program, Safe At Home, please do not apply to register to vote using this site. Contact the Safe At Home program toll-free at (877) 322-5227 or by the Safe At Home email.
Qualifications to Register to Vote
To register to vote in California, you must be:
· A United States citizen and a resident of California (for information on voters in the military or overseas, please see Military and Overseas Voters),
· 18 years old or older on Election Day,
· Not currently in state or federal prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony (for more information, please see Voting Rights: Persons with a Criminal History), and
· Not currently found mentally incompetent to vote by a court (for more information, please see Voting Rights: Persons Subject to Conservatorship).
Qualifications to Pre-register to Vote
To pre-register to vote in California, you must:
· Be 16 or 17 years old, and
· Meet all of the other eligibility requirements to vote.
You will automatically be registered to vote on your 18th birthday.
To Obtain a Paper Voter Registration Application
If you would like to register using a paper voter registration application, you can pick one up at your county elections office, library, Department of Motor Vehicles offices, or U.S. post office. It is important that your voter registration application be filled out completely and be postmarked or hand-delivered to your county elections office at least 15 days before the election.
To request a paper voter registration application be mailed to you, please call (800) 345-VOTE(8683) or email Elections Division staff.
Same Day Voter Registration (Conditional Voter Registration)
In elections conducted by your county elections official, you can “conditionally” register and vote at your county elections office after the 15-day voter registration deadline. For more information please go to Same Day Voter Registration.
College Students and Voters Living Abroad
If you are a Californian living away from home while attending a college, trade school or technical school, or a voter living temporarily outside the United States, please see College Students and Voters Living Abroad.
Are You Already Registered to Vote?
To find out if you are currently registered to vote, visit Check Status of Your Voter Registration.
When to Re-Register to Vote
You need to re-register to vote when:
· You change your name, or
· You change your political party choice.