Recommendations for COVID-19 Preparedness:
The best way for all to reduce their risk of getting sick, as with seasonal colds or the flu, still applies to prevent COVID-19:
· Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
· Cover your cough or sneeze.
· Stay home if you are sick.
· Avoid touching your face.
· Try alternatives to shaking hands, like an elbow bump or wave.
· If you have recently returned from a country, state or region with ongoing COVID-19 infections, monitor your health and follow the instructions of public health officials.
· There is no recommendation to wear masks at this time to prevent yourself from getting sick.
You can also prepare for the possible disruption caused by an outbreak. Preparedness actions include:
· Prepare to work from home if that is possible for your job, and your employer.
· Make sure you have a supply of all essential medications for your family.
· Prepare a child care plan if you or a care giver are sick.
· Make arrangements about how your family will manage a school closure.
· Plan for how you can care for a sick family member without getting sick yourself.
· Take care of each other and check in by phone with friends, family and neighbors that are vulnerable to serious illness or death if they get COVID-19.
· Keep common spaces clean to help maintain a healthy environment for you and others. Frequently touched surfaces should be cleaned regularly with disinfecting sprays, wipes or common household cleaning products.
How to Stay Informed to help you protect, prepare and know the facts regarding COVID-19 public heath safety information. Visit the ALAMEDA COUNTY PUBLIC HEALTH WEBSITE PAGE for up-to-date information.